Few things in life are as stressful as moving out of your home. At this time, you’re dealing with numerous tasks like decluttering, packing, moving furniture and organising utility connections for your new home all at the same time! Let’s face it – when you have so much to do, it’s easy to put that final task – a move out clean before you leave – at the bottom of your priority list.
Whether you’re trying to get back as much of your security deposit as possible, make sure you’ve left nothing behind, or give the new tenants a fresh new start – it’s essential to make sure everything is spick and span before you leave for good. Sure, it seems pretty challenging. A well done moving out cleaning process takes a lot of time – and a lot of energy to do. This is only possible when if you are well prepared. All you need is…
A handy moving out clean checklist!
The amount of time it will take you to clean out your home depends on your home’s size and state of cleanliness already. The standard steps to follow are:
- Before the cleaning process, you want to make sure that you move all your personal belongings and furniture out of your home.
- Get rid of dust. Take a top-down approach and start by wiping and dusting all surfaces, including hard to reach areas – like ceilings.
- After this, you’ll need to vacuum and mop your floors.
- The hardest part – tackling your kitchen and bathrooms. Ensure you clean all your cabinets – inside and out, and scrub those tiles so that no mould, rust or mildew remains!
Sounds pretty difficult, huh? You do have another option! In the same way, you probably would hire movers to take your heavy furniture to your new home; you can hire professional house cleaners to do a thorough move out clean for you!
What to expect from a move out clean
From eating a few cheeky snacks in bed before you sleep to playing with your children or pets – you definitely spend a lot of time in these parts of your house, which is why it’s an area that needs a thorough clean before you move out.
In Living Areas, Bedrooms and Offices:
- All floors are swept, vacuumed & mopped
- Bins emptied and sanitised, trash taken out
- Cleaning all high-touch areas, like light switches, doors and handles etc.
- Dusting of walls
- Window sills, blinds, and skirtings are thoroughly cleaned
- Cleaning of ceilings and the removal of those pesky cobwebs
- Dusting of ceiling fans and light fixtures
- Cleaning of wardrobes and drawers – inside out
- Staircases and hallways cleaned
In the Kitchen:
The kitchen is the heart of the home – and it’s also a place with a lot of hard-to-reach corners. Sometimes, food stains can go unnoticed in your kitchen, food crumbs accumulate in corners, oh – and there are those stubborn grease stains on your backsplash from the last dinner party you had! These areas tend to become a hotbed for germs and could do with a good clean before someone else moves in. So, apart from the general cleaning of the ceilings, walls and floors, you can expect:
- Dusting of ceiling fans and light fixtures
- All cabinets to be cleaned – inside out
- Stovetop burners, hobs, range cleaned
- Backsplash cleaned
- Appliances and hardware like dishwashers, microwaves, sinks and taps are cleaned and polished where needed
Inside the Bathrooms & Laundries:
Since these are wet areas, they can quickly accumulate mould and rust. Getting rid of this takes time and usually requires specialised tools and cleaning solutions that we rarely have on hand. However, a professional service will do a general clean and have the tools to remove mould. Aside from this, a service will also tackle:
- Tiles, sinks and tapware
- Vanities and cabinets and emptied and cleaned out
- Shower, shower screens, bathtubs and drains
- Mirrors and metal frames
- Toilet bowls and paper holders too!
And it doesn’t stop there!
There are ways that you can take your move out clean up a notch and make sure you leave your home looking brand-new! Usually, a home cleaning service will offer add-on services like:
A thorough cleaning to remove stains and residue.
We spend a lot of time on sofas and mattresses. After all, it’s where we relax after a long day and sleep. The thing is, over time, these items tend to accumulate moisture, sweat and small particles of dust and dirt that aren’t visible to the naked eye. If you’re leaving them behind, pay it forward to the future tenant and get them cleaned too. Wouldn’t you like to know that these pieces of furniture in your new home were fresh and clean?
In outdoor areas, mould, dirt, and grime accumulate rapidly and can be very difficult to remove. And what’s more, over time, if it goes unchecked, it can lead to severe home damage.
Typical services under an outdoor clean include:
- Soft house wash
- Water blasting driveways & decks
- Washing fences & walls
- Cleaning patios, paths & pavers
- Gutter Cleaning
- Roof Treatments
This includes cleaning and restoration of your roof, plus removal of moss too!
- Recycle & Rubbish Bins
- And cleaning up garages too!
To request these services, usually, you can simply let the house cleaners know about it either when you book your appointment – or when they arrive at your home! Using a home cleaning service almost guarantees that you’ll leave your old home looking brand-new – and will free up some time so that you can unpack and get settled into your new home, stress-free!