Bed bugs. Dust. Sneezing and coughing all night. Itchy skin. These are just a few of the terrible things that can occur if your mattress is dirty.
Now, you must be wondering how you can get – and keep – your mattress clean as can be.
So here’s an easy step-by-step guide to help you get your mattress back in shape.
Why do you need to clean your mattress?
First things first – to build up the motivation to get to mattress cleaning, you should understand why it’s important in the first place.
While you may be washing your sheets every week, your mattress also needs a little attention.
Your mattress can get really dirty for multiple reasons. Dust mites and bed bugs furrow deep within your mattress, and apart from causing allergic reactions, they leave behind poop as well. Ew right? Well, it gets worse. When we sleep, we sweat and shed a lot of skin cells – which can go through your sheets, straight to your mattress. Then things like microscopic spores from fungus too can cause plenty of issues for us.
Give your mattress a look and see if you can spot these signs of a mattress that is really due a cleaning:
- Food or other stains and spots
- Strange, musty or any unpleasant smells on your mattress
- Check if your bedroom has any mould or mildew growth. Chances are if it’s present in your room, it’s present within your mattress too.
- If you deal with a dust allergy or hay fever and you notice a sudden increase, it’s a good idea to check your mattress out.
- If your mattress looks dull and worn out.
- If you start developing a skin rash or other conditions – and you haven’t changed any products in your hygiene routine or added any new food products to your diet.
And while you’re at it, it would be a good idea to check the condition of your mattress protector and pillows too!
What You Need For An Effective Mattress Cleaning
The good part is that you don’t need a lot of tools for a mattress cleaning. The bad part is that it takes time and effort to do the job correctly.
Here’s what you need:
- A good vacuum cleaner – preferably one with an upholstery attachment. This is, so you protect your mattress as you clean it.
- Baking soda
- Any essential oil of your choosing – to leave behind a pleasant aroma. Oils like eucalyptus and peppermint are great deterrents for bugs and mites.
- An antibacterial spray.
- Stain remover – only if you’re looking at removing a particular type of stain. For example, use the appropriate cleaning solution if it’s a wine stain or grease.
Steps To The Perfect Mattress Cleaning
Now that you’ve gathered up everything you need, it’s time to get to work.
Here’s how you can get to cleaning your mattress.
- Remove all the bedding off your bed – like the pillow covers, pillows, sheets, mattress toppers and even your mattress zip cover (if you have them).
- Put them into the wash before you get to cleaning your mattress to save time!
- Use your vacuum to remove all crumbs and loose dirt from your mattress. Make sure you use an attachment that is right for the type of mattress you have.
- If you have stains to get rid of, spot clean them using the right kind of cleaning solution. Make sure that the solutions (or any liquid) don’t rest too long on the mattress since moisture is the number one reason for mould and mildew growth in a mattress.
- Sprinkle baking soda all over your mattress and allow it to sit for at least a couple of hours. If possible, open up your windows to let in some ventilation and sunshine too! This helps kill harmful bacteria and deodorise your mattress. Baking soda also helps remove any moisture that may be present within your mattress. If you’re using an essential oil, then mix the baking soda with a few drops of oil first before putting it onto your mattress.
- Vacuum once again to get rid of all the baking soda.
- Then spray your mattress with the antibacterial spray and also wipe down your headboard, mattress legs, box spring and so on.
- Once your mattress is clean and dry, make your bed with fresh new sheets, and that’s it!
Hiring A Professional Mattress Cleaner
When in doubt – or if you’re not feeling up to it, you can always hire a professional mattress cleaning service.
At NexDo, our expertly trained cleaning crew will be able to get rid of all the stains, icky bugs and dirt on your mattress in a jiffy!
Plus, we’ve ensured that our booking process is super simple and that our prices are the most competitive.
How Often You Should Clean Your Mattress
As a rule of thumb, you should flip and clean your mattress at least once every 6 months.
Aside from this, you should ideally invest in a mattress protector and
make sure you wash your sheets and pillowcases once every week. You can change your pillowcase every few days too. Especially if you have sensitive or acne-prone skin.
If you or any of your family members are prone to allergies or asthma attacks, then you should clean your mattress a little more frequently. Also, keep in mind that if you have pets or children who play on your mattress, you should try and vacuum your mattress once every couple of weeks or so.
Always remember that the second a spill happens, you should not only remove the sheets but get to cleaning your mattress too, to prevent it from setting in.
While mattresses are expensive, especially high-quality ones, you should still look to switch your mattresses out once every 7 – 10 years. This is because wear and tear over time will reduce the amount of support your mattress should provide your body as you sleep.
So there you go! A mattress deep cleaning routine that is as simple and quick as can be!